Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Testing the knee

I got out for another run at lunch today. I ran about 90% of the route from yesterday, only following a different (muddier) path through the bridle trails. The weather has been cooperating lately. It rains every day but mostly later in the day and not when I'm out on the trails at lunch. I do love running on those trails even if I have to step off the trail and let a horse pass occasionally.

I almost never run back to back days as I worry that my knee won't like it. My knee wasn't happy today but the soreness wasn't enough that I ever wanted to stop or turn around.

It's disappointing that my knee holds me back. I had my Meniscus repaired almost 2 years ago and came back to running really slowly and cautiously. I wasn't ever given any PT recommendations or exercises to do so I just kept stretching on my own. I wonder if there is anything else I can do to help strengthen my knee. I already lift weights a few days a week and stretch for 30 min. every night. I don't think I can go back to the place where I had the surgery and get any more help from them. I need to try a few of the various knee support / stabilizing products that I see other runners wearing. Maybe my doc can give me a referral to a sports medicine Physical Therapist in the area.

I worry sometimes that this is as good as my knee will ever be. Being able to run the occasional 50K is great but at the same time it makes me want to run longer races. Crisis or opportunity?

Dist: 5.2
Time: 43 min.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: