Tuesday, April 27, 2010

catching up

I've been slacking on the blogging lately. Luckily my 3 semi-loyal readers haven't complained yet. I don't have much time now, so I'll just hit the high points about my last few runs and talk about injuries:

Last week I ran twice, once was just 2 miles on the treadmill at work to warm up before lifting weights. The other two, one last Friday after work and one at lunch today, were basically the same route. I ran out to the Bridle Trails from the gym near work, noodled around on the muddy trails and then turned around. The weather on Friday was great, high 50s and sunny. Today it was low 50s and cloudy. It was just starting to rain with a mile to go today. Both were good trail runs in the Brooks Cascadias, which I'm really starting to like quite a bit.

My knee is still a little sore but felt pretty good after my leg workout on Friday at lunch. Doing squats at reduced weight hurt a little bit but running felt fine on my knee after work. I tried wearing a Cho Pat during today's run and kept it on for maybe 2 miles total. It kept slipping down and didn't seem to help relieve the strain on my patella at all. I'll give the Cho Pat another try and then want to try one of those knee sleeves to see if that helps. My pelvis issues (PS/SI joint problems) haven't bothered me in a few years now. The PS joint pops once in a while but it's totally manageable. All signs point to years of playing hockey as the reason for the problems in the first place. I haven't had any pain since I stopped playing hockey in early 2007. I miss playing quite a bit but I'm really enjoying getting back to running. I hope I can get the knee under control so that I can progress into some longer races over the next few years.

I can't let Chris be better than me at everything. :)

Thursday: 2 miles on the treadmill in 17:54
Friday: 5.0 miles on the trails in 38:08
Today: 5.0 miles on the trails in ~40 minutes (forgot the Garmin)

It's going to be a low-volume month statistically but I'm happy.

No comments: